Wednesday 31 October 2012

The Cup

"Each morning we must hold out the chalice of our being to receive, to carry, and give back. It must be held out empty - for the past must only be reflected in its polish, its shape, its capacity." 
(Dag Hammarskjöld)


Can you drink
The cup?  He asked

How simply sincere
The yes of youth

And sure the hands
That take the cup

Holding it to my lips
Mouth to mouth
Communion adoration

Drinking of its sacrificed
Service

Thinking nothing of the cost
In the greatness of my loving

It takes time
To become what we drink
And becoming takes its toll

Uncertain feet stumble
Weakening hands tremble

The cup falls
Spilling out emptied

And I am nothing
To myself but a bare
Naked trusting

That I AM the cup
Held in His hands

A vessel fit for lofty use

Dedicated to the Master
Ready for every good

1 comment: